Tuesday, December 31, 2019

Kabienttskriege: A Year in Review

The author as a member of the Volunteers of Edinburgh
Dear Readers,

It has been a long year (and decade), and I wanted to leave 2019 with a few thoughts. The blog covered some new territory in 2019, beginning the year in January with a post on an American soldier in Prussia, and a Prussian soldier in America. My lecture at the Seven Years War Association Convention was recorded in to a podcast in April, and in June, in one of my favorite posts this year, we explored some surviving gaiter cloth in the British National Archives.

This summer, I traveled to Europe in order to research for my dissertation, and I found time to visit some museums as well. That made for a number of posts, regarding  holdings at the Austrian Military History Museum, Burg Forchtenstein, and the art of Hyacinth de La Pegna. We were honored to have guest authors such as Ben Olex and James Taub, who reviewed books and began work on a series on the French Army.

In the summer, I made an impassioned plea for the relevance of the military history of Frederick the Great and George Washington, and followed it in August with two of our most popular posts from this year, covering facial hair in Kabinettskriege-era armies, and the service of black soldiers.

In the fall, Kabinettskriege reported on a newly acquired uniform book at the Society of the Cincinnati, reviewed HBO's Catherine the Great, and discussed the politics of reenacting the European Seven Years War in North America.
A Saxon artillery piece, drawn just after the Seven Years War (find more here)

The autumn also saw the launch of Patreon-only content, check it out and give us your support!

In the tail of the year, I wrote a piece on the sexuality of Friedrich Wilhelm, Freiherr de Steuben, and evaluated art from two modern artists, with pointers on judging art from a historical perspective. These two posts were by far the most controversial of the year, leading to a number of personal insults, which I bore with the measured patience of an evil liberal academic elite. All in all, a successful year.

Where should we go in 2020? What about this era interests you? Let us know in the comments below!

If you enjoyed this post, or any of our other posts, please consider liking us on facebook, or following us on twitterConsider checking out our exclusive content on Patreon. Finally, we are dedicated to keeping Kabinettskriege ad-free. In order to assist with this, please consider supporting us via the donate button in the upper right-hand corner of the page. As always:

Thanks for Reading, 


Alex Burns








2 comments:

  1. Thank you for all 2019 articles and cannot wait for new in 2020. Happy New Year to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always turn to Vampire any time I want to. I become a Vampire because of how people treat me, this world is a wicked world and not fair to any body. at the snack of my finger things are made happened. am now a Powerful Man and no one step on me without an apology goes free. i turn to Human being also at any time i want to. and am one of the most dreaded Man in my Town. i become a Vampire through the help of my friend who introduce me into a Vampire Kingdom by given me their email. if you want to become a Powerful Vampire kindly contact the Vampire Kingdom on their Email: Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete