Thursday, December 19, 2019

Rediscovering Lost Art: The Painting of the Surrender at Breslau on 21st December, 1757

A photograph of the original painting

In his book, Unter dem Preußen- Adler (Under the Prussian Eagles) Hans Bleckwenn suggests the first image above has been lost to time. This oil painting by an unknown artist depicts an important event in the history of the Seven Years War: the recapture of Breslau by Prussian forces after the Battle of Leuthen, and the surrender of the large Austrian garrison.

This image is important for the detailed pictures of Prussian soldiers, and as you may have noticed from a previous Kabinettskriege post, is one of the few period images to depict an African soldier serving as a musician in the Prussian Army.  While searching through the Catalogue at the Society of the Cincinnati, I was amazed to discover an entry which read, "Der Aufmarsch der zu Kriegesgefangen gemachten Osterreichiscehn Besatzung aus Breslau am 21. December, 1757".  (The Marching out of Austrian Prisoners taken at Breslau on December 21st, 1757).

I eagerly ordered the item, and waited for the archival staff to bring it from the vault.  For the rest of the story, and images of the rediscovered print, see: https://www.patreon.com/posts/32471624

If you enjoyed this post, or any of our other posts, please consider liking us on facebook, or following us on twitterConsider checking out our exclusive content on Patreon. Finally, we are dedicated to keeping Kabinettskriege ad-free. In order to assist with this, please consider supporting us via the donate button in the upper right-hand corner of the page. As always:

Thanks for Reading, 


Alex Burns

3 comments:

  1. Your posts always give me much food for thought, ALex. Thank you and Merry Christmas.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
  2. Website: (https://emutemple.wordpress.com/  I was born and raised in a small town on Long Island in New York. I live there today with my wife and three wonderful children. I want to testify of how I was cured from prostate cancer by Dr Emu. I was on hormone therapy for advanced prostate cancer. At first I was having lots of signs and symptoms like excessive urine at midnight and also I was experiencing dribbling of urine all the time I was going through hell I search for a cure☑ on the internet I came to know about Dr Emu I saw lots of testimonies of how he cures diseases like *Prostate Cancer *Herpes  Virus *Genital herpes *Hiv/Aids*Breast Cancer and more am happy am cured thanks to Dr Emu I recommend Dr Emu roots and herbs as best natural herbal medicine with no side effects. For consultation and more contact him via Email: (emutemple@gmail.com) (emutemple@yahoo.com) WhatsApp or call +2347012841542 

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always turn to Vampire any time I want to. I become a Vampire because of how people treat me, this world is a wicked world and not fair to any body. at the snack of my finger things are made happened. am now a Powerful Man and no one step on me without an apology goes free. i turn to Human being also at any time i want to. and am one of the most dreaded Man in my Town. i become a Vampire through the help of my friend who introduce me into a Vampire Kingdom by given me their email. if you want to become a Powerful Vampire kindly contact the Vampire Kingdom on their Email: Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete