Wednesday, April 8, 2020

Historian Spotlight: Nick Kane


Nick with his Masters Hood

Today, we are going to begin the first of a series of interviews with a number of historians, in various stages of their careers. By the time this series concludes in late April, we will have heard from Nick Kane, Ben Bartgis and Robbie MacNiven. All of these individuals are broadly interested in the Kabinettskriege era, and have been selected as a result of recent promotion, career success, entry into graduate school, new scholarly projects, or work recently begun in graduate school or at a historic site. Today's public historian is Nick Kane, a historian who researches the British Army in the era of the War of  Independence. Nick recently completed his Masters in Public History from the University of North Carolina at Charlotte. 

Alexander Burns : What drew you to study the history in this era? In 2018, much of popular memory of military history in the United States is focused on World War 1, World War 2, and the Vietnam War. What about the history of the 1648-1789 era do you find so compelling?

Nick Kane: It might be because it’s where the world as we know it began. Meaning warfare, culture, geo-political entities, and economies. I think the fact that I do re-enacting/living history for the eighteenth century is also a factor. I will say that years ago when I was a kid, I loved reading WWI and WWII history stuff. Some parts of it still interest me with that era, mostly entertainment products (movies/games) but not too much on the military history part. Unless it’s New Military History or something akin to it. I’m drawn to the social parts of military history, not so much the leaders and tactics. But if I have to talk about the actual military part of it, there’s a lot of subjects that the public does not know and it opens the door for historic dialogue. Things that Matthew Spring talks about in his book With Zeal and Bayonets Only. Once I discovered Sylvia Frey and Stephen Brumwell, I knew I wanted to study military history in the “New” school, which ironically isn’t so new anymore. There’s more to this era of study than linear warfare and powdered wigs. One of my projects in the future is to do another social history of the British army.




 AB: Is there a particular person, conflict, event, or geographical setting which draws you to this era?

NK: Mostly the Seven Years War and the American War for Independence for conflicts but I have been looking at the conflicts tied to those as well recently. Such as the Anglo-Cherokee war and the Siege of Gibraltar. Concerning people, I love to find those journals from enlisted soldiers and junior officers. While it only gives a limited view into their minds it does display some of the perspectives and thoughts they had. With the AWI I mostly look at the Southern Campaign since some of the battles happened near me, such as the Battle of Charlotte (5 minutes from me), Battle of Waxhaws, Kings Mountain, and Huck’s Defeat. It’s really cool to be in the literal area of one’s study. While I was up at Fort Ticonderoga, I gained a bigger appreciation for the Northern battles of the AWI and the French & Indian War. The South really did not have much in the way of F&I battles. The Anglo-Cherokee war did happen down here though, which brought down some of the British army this way. The other aspect of my studies deals with Scots in the British world. Particularly the Highland regiments, immigrants, and the music of that era.

AB: How do you plan to continue your research into this era? You have been employed in a public history setting, and are currently applying to graduate programs. Why have you chosen your particular path?

NK: The research part is gonna have to be done the old fashion way of either getting copies or going straight to the archive. However, I am fortunate to live in this era of technology where the exchange of information and text can be done so much more conveniently. In addition, many of my colleagues are willing to share some primary sources they have acquired. I chose the public history pathway for a variety of reasons. To me it is the best way to get the information to a larger number of people than academics. I also enjoy the public interaction and talking history with other interested people. Working at Fort Ticonderoga this past season really boosted my passion for the public interaction part. I learned a lot on how the public views history and how they can engage with it working there. I finished my Master’s last May and at this point I’m holding off on PhD studies. Maybe in the future I’ll continue it. I wouldn’t mind being that doctoral student that is middle-aged, experienced, and knows how to tackle things better. I do hope to get something published in the future though, just need to get cracking on that.

AB: What challenges have you faced in the historical profession? What, if any, advice would you give to high school and college students considering this field?




NK: It’s a small field of study and profession in comparison to others like STEM. Without sounding bitter, if you are going to enter the field then I urge you to have a passion for it. I don’t mean “I read David McCullough and watched Band of Brothers forty million times” but “I don’t have enough primary sources, help me archive.org!” level. For those thinking about graduate school I recommend making friends with other historians in the field you are interested in. The internet is a wonderful place to make history friends and some might even share stuff with you. The public history field is also wonderful but be prepared to relocate for a career in it. Lastly, if you are wanting to be an academic in history, start learning how to get rid of passive voice in your writing - your professors will love you very much.

AB: What have you been reading, recently? Could you recommend one book on your topic of interest, or any recent work on the era?

NK: I am going to admit here that I am one of those readers that has about five books on “reading” status at all times. I have Christopher Duffy’s The Military Experience in the Age of Reason, couple fantasy books, and pdfs I have opened up on my computer. I think the most recent book on my field that I can think of is Ilya Berkovich’s Motivation in War which you reviewed a few years ago. It’s a really fascinating read and helped me quite a bit on my thesis.

AB: Thanks so much Nick! We look forward to following your career as it continues!

NK: Thank you, Alex for this opportunity. I am watching to see how your doctoral studies go and what Kabinettskriege will produce next!

No comments:

Post a Comment