Thursday, October 17, 2013

Shameless Promotion: 12 Years a Slave


Promotional Poster
Dear Readers,

I think you know me well enough to realize that I don't usually use this blog to promote products. I don't advertise. But I think that you should all make an effort to go see the upcoming film 12 Years a Slave. I will justify this in a few points.

1. This is a film based on the reading of a primary source document. As opposed to other historical drama's, which are set in history, but based on fiction (such as Last of the Mohicans) 12 Years a Slave is based on the historical account of Solomon Northup. This is one of the best sources we have for antebellum slavery, and is often quoted in scholarly publications.

2. American Slavery was truly awful. When I first entered college, I had no idea how terrible American Slavery was, and I don't think I will ever fully comprehend it. These people lived, breathed, and had wants and desires just like us, and they were enslaved. Hessian soldiers saw the hypocrisy of the colonists who wanted to be free from Britain, but not address the issue of slavery. Americans should be confronted with this aspect of our heritage. 

3. Many modern American's think that slavery was some kind of joke. I recall speaking to one of my acquaintances growing up, trying to convince me that it would be cool to own a slave. I could not quite buy it, even at a young age. All that most people remember about the Civil War is that General Lee was good at fighting. 600,000 Americans died to free these enslaved  African Americans.  

4. Some individuals are claiming that Obamacare is the next worst thing to happen since American Slavery. This cannot be believed by anyone who has read anything historical, and those people need to watch this movie. 

Anyway, enough with the promo. Here is a link to the trailer.


Thanks for reading,

Alex Burns 

No comments:

Post a Comment