Monday, March 11, 2013

Beat to Quarters! Naval Posts Incoming!

Opening Scene from the 2003 movie Master and Commander: Far Side of the World
Dear Reader,

Last week was spring break for my masters program, and over the break an odd mix of factors helped push me in the direction of naval warfare in the Kabinettskriege period. First of all, we recieved one vote for this topic! (Unfamiliar with voting on Kabinettskriege? Check it out and vote!) Second, for one of my masters classes, I was assigned to read the book, 1812: War with America, by Oceanographer and historian Jon Latimer. Third, I traveled to be with my parents at their home in Erie PA. Erie is home to an excellent naval museum, as well as the United States Brig Niagara. Finally, I watched the excellent film, Master and Commander: Far Side of the World, with my lovely girlfriend and her family (while the movie was not exactly her cup of tea, she was a good sport about it.)

So, as you can see, a potent brew of information. In light of these developments, I am going to do a series of posts on naval experience in the Late Kabinettskriege period, or roughly 1740-1815. While the Napoleonic Wars mark the end of Kabinettskriege style warfare on land, the Age of Sail, (or the naval wars which occur simultaneously with the Kabinettskriege period) lasts until roughly 1815.

Hope you enjoy this series,

Alex Burns

No comments:

Post a Comment